Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Blueberry Blast 10 K

A few weeks ago there was a 10k race in nearby Harbour Grace. I decided last minute to go for it. I figured that since my only other race experience was 10 miles, a 10 kilometer run should be a peice of cake. So confident was I that I decided to stay out late with some friends the night before. In fact, I had exactly two hours to sleep before I had to get in the car and drive the 1.5 hr drive to the start line. Part of me was actually pretty curious as to how I'd feel running on no sleep. It was a test.

There were 100 some people running. A small run with little fuss. I thought it was just a nice way to spend a Sunday morning. I took my Holga, but only a few shots left on the roll. (In my early morning haste I had forgot the extra film. I remembered running shoes though, that was a close one!)

So I set off and after a few K's I was feeling ok, not great. A few more k's and I was feeling no better. I was just enduring this event, that was all I could muster. Only one water stop and I took a 10 second walk break to drink. A few more k's and I'm thinking *please let there be another water table*. Not because I was thirsty, no. I was dying to stop and walk for another 10 seconds. Alas it was becoming obvious that there were no more tables and I was just going to have to run the rest and shut down my complaining mind. I saw the 8k mark and I decided to turn off my music and just run it as fast as I could. I was operating under the premise that the faster I get to the finish line the faster I could FINISH! I was very miserable. I thought for sure I was going to barf. I couldn't even sniff the snot from dripping down my face because it made me gag. Eventually I came within sight of the finish line and - wow I was so surprised to see my time! It was really great (for ME people, for ME). I got a great rush from seeing that clock.

Inside the arena where the food and such was spread out I managed to find a chair and sat. I was still feeling like I was going to barf. I amnaged to eat some of the delicious blueberry goodies that were available. It was a nice reception and I know that despite my bad physical feeling that I was enjoying this experience.

I drank coffee but I was exhausted and driving the 1.5 hours back home was rough. I listened to Cage the Elephant on bust (aside - that is a great album) and sang along with it to force myself into alertness.

Seriously - this song kept me on the road. I know it by heart now, lol. I wonder if any other drivers thought I was yelling at them? LOud as you can - *you're a no good, lazy motherfucker . . . "

Lesson? Sleep is important. Very important.

Only two lonely photos. One is the faster runners coming back from the turn . . .



And a very Newfoundland-ish sign.

3 comments:

  1. but... you did it. love the song. i only know "ain't no rest for the wicked," and love it.

    p.s. i haven't been running. i have excuses, but they're kinda pathetic, so i won't even mention them.

    -terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take pictures WHILE running! How cool. What was the movie where the main character- a girl- did that...i can't think of it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I googled "no sleep before 10K and got your site... I'm doing a 10K in the morning ( well, it is morning now) and I can't sleep... hope I have the same result as you, and without barfing!

    ReplyDelete